Monday, January 2, 2012

Arrived!

Today has been one hell of a long day. I've been up since 4:30AM in order to make my 6:30AM flight. And before that, I couldn't fall asleep at all, no matter how hard I tried. It was the first time that this has happened to me since the night before my Junior girls' softball championship game. I can't pinpoint what the reason was since I had been feeling super calm before this. It certainly wasn't the excitement. Rather, it was probably more of the anxiousness and eerie calm that precedes a storm that kept me up.

I arrived at Daytona Beach and reached our student dorm, aka hotel, shortly before 2PM. After some initial paperwork, I received the keycard to my room on the 2nd floor. The room was a standard hotel room, but included a kitchen and stove. It also came with a mini balcony and a pretty sweet view overlooking the pool and the Atlantic Ocean below.



We ended school related activities around 6:30PM after some basic orientation and introductions about every instructor and student in the class. What was fascinating was the wide range of individuals who were here, both geographically, demographically, and age wise. There were tons of young 18 to 21 year olds, who are on their first time away from home, as well as several older guys, including one who is rooming with his wife and another who will be rooming with this 97 year old mother. It was definitely amazing to witness the diversity of the class first hand and it really reinforces my belief in the passion of the people who are here at school.

Anyhow, fun fact, the highlight of my day was winning a extra school shirt by answering a trivia question correctly. (Name 4 of the 6 umpires who worked the World Series this past year) I do hope that it only goes uphill, not downhill from here, haha. The second highlight of my day? Finding canned Yuenglings in the Walgreen.

Solid start.

No comments:

Post a Comment