Saturday, July 4, 2009

1st Book Review

Given that it's July 4th and it's a day full of patriotism across the country, I figure it would only be appropriate that my first book review post be posted today given the subject of one of the books

Just want to give a little background before I start. I recently starting reading books again. Not that I didn't read through college, but reading for class is definitely a lot different than reading for fun. (I blame "Writing The Essay," worst piece of crap class ever) I definitely missed the plots and storytelling aspects of books versus magazines. Magazines and news articles, for the most part, lack that ability to captivate you and make you unable to "drop it." It's amazing how many pages of a book one can read in by using every spare minute of the work day, fully utilizing those toilet-breaks and all. Just kidding.

Anyways, back to the topic.

Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis

Yes, I know I'm only a couple years late reading this book but so what? Perhaps, because of this, I didn't find this book to be the magical read that so many people claim it is. Sure, it relates directly to the current news we hear daily about Wall Street and the financial system. And I can see how it can how a "wow" factor for someone unfamiliar with the finance world such as high schoolers or college freshman. But at this point, I found the book a little mundane, as I read about things that someone could learn by watching Boiler Room. What makes this book even less fascinating and impactful in my mind is the fact that so many Wall Streeters have read this book but clearly have not gained or learned anything from it. Instead of helping to refocus people on the idiocy of many Wall Street practices, it may very well have helped to propagate it. 2 out of 5 stars.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Some people might be turned off by the relatively conservative and republican viewpoint of the author, but this book about the survival of a Navy Seal in the mountains of Afghanistan is a fantastic and captivating read. The author's viewpoint of the current war, media, and rules of war/engagement is directly influenced by the story that he tells. If you take that into consideration, it is easy to see why his views are so extreme. The book not only talks about the dedication and courage of the nation's military elite, but also tells a story of sacrifice, "teamship," and family. In addition, it explores some of the dualities that exists in the asymmetrical conflicts of modern day. Lastly, the complex relationship between the sense of team, tribe/clan, family, and nation is prevalent throughout as well. All in all, the story boils down to something much simpler than politics. It is a tribute to those who have given up so much. 5 out of 5 stars. (Related)


"My loyalty to country and team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans, always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own. I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men. ... In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. ... I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight."

First book review post is done, got a couple more to put up in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned. Happy 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment